The Endocannabinoid System (ECS) is probably the most important physiological system involved in setting up, maintaining and regulating human and animal health. The human and animal body produces cannabinoids known as endogenous cannabinoids, which operate differently when compared to other chemical messengers that transmit important signals in bodies, for example serotonin or dopamine.
The role of ECS is to bring balance to our tissues, including whose in the most important organs of the body, such as the heart, digestive, endocrine, immune, nervous, and also reproductive systems and organs.
There are two major cannabinoid receptors in the body:
- CB1 receptors – they are mainly found in the brain and central nervous system and affect our thinking, mood, appetite, pain, emotions, movement, coordination and other functions and aspects of our life
- CB2 receptors – are mostly in the peripheral organs associated with the immune system, they affect conditions such as inflammation and pain
CBD can have a positive effect on the endocannabinoid system and can be useful in treating many medical conditions, mainly:
- Autoimmune diseases – inflammation and pain
- Neurological conditions – Alzheimer’s, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis or epilepsy
- Metabolic syndrome – diabetes and obesity
- Neuropsychiatric diseases and conditions – autism, ADHD, PTSD, alcoholism
- Gut disorders – Crohn’s disease
- Cardiovascular diseases and conditions
- Skin diseases – acne and dermatitis
- Weight issues – hemp oil for weight loss